Sunday, September 22, 2024

Gollum march 23, 2014

 

yesterday's essay made me think of a quote from the classic cartoon film “who framed Roger rabbit” in which the sense that tell is quoted saying “I'm not a bad girl I'm just drawn that way.”

Her essay from which yesterday's journal was drawn  made me think more about it

she is telling us that she's fundamentally a good girl but influenced by bad people that surround her

the basic concept is that she is so empathic that she becomes what other people need her to be and in the process she loses herself

we -- all of us,  the entire group from perhaps the beginning of time -- have always imposed our needs on her, shaping her into what we need relative what she is

this is a stunning concept and one that as I look back at all of the essays and all the poems of everything she has done since I've known her seems the most accurate

so while I may not have needed her as a cub reporter our former temporary boss desperately needed her to be that

I am not sure what I shaped her into yet but looking back at others I see that her former stalkers also painted her in their own vision of what they needed

and then she wound up in the midst of very dark and dangerous people and they shaped her into things that are almost unbelievably painful

I remember her telling me that she never cheated on her husband and yet I kept getting the feeling that he also painted her into something that he needed her to be so he could cheat on her. (I still don’t believe she could have resisted the attention she got during five years touring with the band, but that’s an aside.)

change of priorities came before her marriage to him but it fits into this too, the idea that she is like clay and can be molded into any shape that other people desire her to be

as a result she loses herself, doesn't know who she is, and ultimately winds up being what they need her to be and can't find herself again in the mix

I'm not sure if she can turn off that part of herself that makes her empathetic and attracts these kinds of people, who are needy and want to use her for the purposes --  this of course includes me

is there a light switch inside of her that she can switch off and on because part of her charm part of what makes her special is the fact that she is empathy and is down deep a kind human being

looking back at the number of my poems written during the summer of 2012 they were moments when she was defiant but then became merciful and that was apparently the real her and at times I got the feeling that her poetry was revealing bits of her real self to those of us who were savvy enough to be able to translate or decode her words and that she risked too much by openly saying who she is or her real feelings

this of course  maybe just imposing too much on her poetry but I like to believe it's true

what happens now going forward how does she change that how does she step out into the world again as her real self after being in so many stolen shells like a hermit crab

how does she avoid having other people do to her what everybody has been doing to her all alone making her into a column shaping her into their own desires and wishes


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment