Friday, September 20, 2024

Two words July 29, 2012

 

I bushwhacked myself by sending a text

even I know I should never have sent

after having abandoned the crazy idea

of sending her cards for her birthday

knowing too that if she hated the card

I brought to the bar that night

how much worse would three cards be

even though this time

 it really was her birthday not mine

what harm could a simple two-word text produce

 a gesture of friendship

 a shot in the dark

 desperate still to rekindle a flame

we both know can't be reignited

without exploding like a badly made firework

I should have known and certainly know now

how potent even two words can be

 as I feel the backlash across my back

leaving welts across my memory

that won't heal soon

too bloody response I think

for two simple words

though words can be as deadly as bullets


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment