Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Don’t stare aug. 2012


don't stare

not at all

in any direction

 she happens to be in

not even with my blind eye

 I grip my pen and

 keep it poised on a pad

in which I have written nothing

and do not intend to

aware she is across from me

at the table

looking at me and

 daring me to look back

and I don't dare

the whole office is one bit minefield

a wrong step and my life will explode

don't stare don't stare

even when she speaks

it won't be at me

I am an invisible Man

I no longer exist

 I occupy space the way

 a rock might

 unmoving, unmovable

not even organic

 don't stare

don't take the cheese

that get sets off the trap

just sit wait go back

to the to the hole in the wall

 where I am expected to reside

 this one day per week

but not here safe

 only as long as I do

what I'm told

don't stare

don't even blink


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment