Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Obsessed or not obsessed? April 17, 2012

 

She is obsessed just as her generation is, not with love or passion, while I still live like a naïve child,

Full of that John Wayne manhood that seeks to protect rather than dominate, desperate to preserve the mystique of virginity, seeking innocence where there is none.

I’m haunted by the off-off Broadway play I went to see where ordinary moms start a garage band and revert to the rock & roll stereotypes, the one song sticking in my mind a week later when they sang, “You can’t fuck them all.”

And this rang all too true from those days long ago when I worked as roadie for a local band fronted by a woman and get the feeling from my talk with this woman in the office she has the same ferocious appetite, and how she finds some men cool to hang out with, men she finds extremely attractive.

She talks about having worked in a bar in Manhattan where management fully expected her to put out for special clientele, and how she got locked in an office with one, somehow making her escape, never to go back there again.

Who is she? Where is she going? What she wants from me?

I’m not even sure how much of this hunger she professes is real, or more terrifying, it may be more intense than even she lets on.

At the same time, there is something frail about her, and behind her mask of indifference, deeper secrets stir.

 




email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment