Sunday, September 15, 2024

Drunk again march 11, 2014


I'm drunk; I get a bit incoherent writing when I'm drunk but that doesn't stop me.

drinking makes me horny, stupid ,incoherent and somewhat nostalgic which is bad combination

when I was younger I used to go to go go bars and write there, slowly getting drunk gawking at the near naked girls and giving them tips I couldn't afford to give and writing down everything I saw or felt

I am not in a go-go bar now but a Old Man's bar in a dark corner with my notepad open and getting dark looks from a bartender who is not used to people coming here to write even if I keep feeding him tips and buying drinks

I keep thinking of the poem on a poet posted recently about betrayal and I am getting sad because I am also one of those people who betrayed her

you have to be close to really betray somebody because that's the only way you can really do damage

when you know who your enemies are you know how to defend yourself but you don't know how to defend yourself against the people you think love you

I am not drunk because of the poem or even the feelings of the poem evoked with the memories of me betraying her back then when I was jealous about her and our former temporary boss

I did not intend to get drunk but for some reason I just kept drinking and now I'm there, thinking about all the stuff about betrayal and how bad she must feel down there in the clinic after reaching out to somebody she trusted only to get betrayed

Caesar wasn't defeated by his enemies he was defeated by Brutus his closest friend

and the more I drink the more I wonder who it is that betrayed her this time and it only makes me feel guilty and I buy myself another drink

the old men at the bar look at me strangely as if they can't understand how I can remain sober enough to jot all of this down

I know I will regret writing this tomorrow because it always comes out of me, the pain, the attraction, the sense of loss and this distance that now exists now that she has gone

not just to the clinic but moving on to a different orbit which there is no more connection

being hated is almost as good as being loved because it means that someone cares enough to hate me and so I will substitute for what I really wanted back then and still sort of want

the bartender just wiped the bar in this dark corner in front of me and asks me if I want another drink and I say yes and he looks at me and he looksat my pad and he wonders what it is that I am writing and whether he should throw me out

I haven’t been this badly drunk in a long time, not  quite this bad the few times I was with her in the bar in hometown except that last time when I drank a little too much and walked out on her and it is a moment I will regret for the rest of my life

getting drunk only brings me back to that moment; I can't escape it; I can't relieve myself of it; and so I will constantly write about it, and revisit it, whenever I get this inebriated

anyway I am almost to the point where I can't write anymore and so I am going to put the pen down finish my drink and then make my way back home trying not to hit anything along the way



email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment