Wednesday, September 11, 2024

The woman in the model room next door Sept 10, 2024

  

I book a room in the same motel

I’ve booked year in and year out

For decades, though now, I recall

That one night, that one year

When I lay down listening

To the bed in the room next door

Pounding against the wall

And the loud moans of lovers

One of whom I dreamed

Back then was her,

Wondering as I drifted

In and out of sleep,

In and out of dream,

What sounds she might make

And so I make them up

Myself, shaping her

In my mind

As the woman whose moaning

Oozes through the thin walls

And aggravates what I already feel,

I book the room again

All this time later,

Thinking, what if it really was her

(though I know it wasn’t)

And still sometimes dream

As if it was

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment