Tuesday, October 1, 2024

I pray for rain aug 2012

  

I pray for rain to relieve

the dry heat of Summer

knowing I need more

than rain to cleanse

my life of what

 the summer brings

no lotion to make the burn less acute

 sunscreen to prevent it from happening again

I don't blister yet

 yet feel the boils rising up from under my skin

volcanic in potency

 I can't cure on my own

and can't rely on others hands

to spread the ointment

to sooth the pain

I pray for rain if only to ease

the itch I feel each time I think of you

the itch I can't scratch

because it goes too deep

and risks real wounds if I try

I ache for rain to cure

what the hot sun brings out in me

 an ointment to sooth the self-inflicted wounds

 I blame you for when it is my own doing

 too stupid to get out of the sun

 too stubborn to try

 broiled without knowing it

 like a lobster who is unaware he's cooked

until it all comes to a boil

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment