Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Hidden aug. 2012

 

the ritual is always the same

 the long ride South

 to hide out in an office

 where nobody sees me

trying to escape the heat of summer

in which there is no cheer

 Labor Day looming ahead

bringing only promise of cold

and rain and falling leaves

 a time I used to find comfort in

a time when I tried to embrace change

but find nothing beyond it

but a void

 a question of what might happen

 could happen

I wait for to happen

 but do not know what it is

 I wait for

caught up in a poetic web

 I can only translate

I do not understand

war waged weekly

now ancient history

 she, me, they

moving to something else

something uncertain

maybe even something unreal

I don't believe

I rely on the rituals

 the morning coffee

the long drive to the fortress of a desk

 she has never seen or touched

and so unlike my Harry Potter Hive up north

has no stain of memory

her touch has never touched this

 so there is no lingering memory

of good or bad

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment