Tuesday, October 1, 2024

don’t struggle aug 3, 2012


 the more I think about it

the less sure I am about

what she meant

when she told me

 not to fight the inevitable

do I feel the bottom

of this pit of quicksand

if I stretch my toes down

as far as I can

 or is she right in saying

 if I fight it it only makes it worse

 if quick death is worse

 than slow sinking

I can't be sure

maybe she's being merciful

and I misread her intent

telling me not to inflict

 more injury on myself

 and let it happen

not arrogant perhaps

an act of kindness

since she sees men like me

go from knee deep to Chin deep

by struggling

when if I surrender

 I might at least

have a few more hours of breath

 before I drown

I have brought it all down on myself

 and for that matter she is right


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment