Friday, September 27, 2024

The heat inside aug 2012

 

the moist air is so hot

 it feels like a steam bath

 though it is still

the heat inside me

that stirs me to boil

 the touch of flesh

 I cannot reach to touch

the memory of a kiss

I no longer feel

this idea of what love is

 lingering in the balmy air

I fill my lungs with it

and come near to drowning

you can almost swim in it

even when you are

 way deep in quicksand

 all this poignant vapor

 all this pontification

about heartbreak

all this back and forth

about a romance t

hat never was

just a working out of details

feeling our way through

 the Quagmire of Life

 in search of grains of gold

we might find in the sand

that slowly sinks us

 gold nuggets or love

that only make us sink faster

when we cannot swim

I breathe in the moist air

steaming myself as from the inside

 doing it all to myself

when I ought to sit still

 and wait out the inevitable

each move I Make only

quickens it

and makes the heat inside

that much more intolerable


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment