Friday, August 30, 2024

She is a nun feb 23, 2014

 

she is neither Monk nor nun

 still I am drawn to her innocence

 she living up to Blake's vision

of what innocence should be

never perfect always tested

potent in its power to seduce

 wicked people like me

I dress her as a nun in my mind

 The veil, The gown, the rosary beads

 hanging around her neck

Yet I always strip these from her again

 leaving her naked

and vulnerable the way Eve must have looked

when I ache for her to be the other Mary

 Christ knew and forgave

The sinner who is the face of sin

 who lives life on the edge

a balancing act to keep from falling

I paint her as a virgin in the way she is

 knowing as the Bible says

then still unmolested

shimmering in the Twilight

 the way the first stars do

 always intensely attractive

 always scalding even at a distance

 always beyond reach

if not saintly then saint like

 what we need to violate

 over and over again


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment