Sunday, August 4, 2024

gifts. aug 2, 2024

  

I learned the lesson the hard way

when she gives you a gift

 take it no matter how small

 it is not insignificant

like those from back when

 she came to my desk

asking for things she didn't need

 seeking to keep the connection alive

and I foolishly always wanted more

 like a birthday at the bar

or the poems about quicksand or compassion

and now all these years later

 we are connected again

 remotely, barely

 a fragile hookup

I dare not question

I just let it happen

 grateful for the significance

the non-verbal clicks

that wake me up each morning

and put me to sleep at night

 whether he loves me or hates me

 it does not matter

this in wire that has

each of us on each end

remotely

together


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment