Saturday, July 20, 2024

Being on the inside May 12, 2012

 

 

 


 I’ve been there,

looked out the widows

she talks about,

though now, I look up at them,

not from equal height,

 but from below,

 like a stranger,

 once one of the select people

she invites into the inner sanctum,

now the person she wets her pillows over,

 tears and night sweats

that eradicate the more pleasant kind,

 she, there, mostly alone

 with those who come yet mostly go,

 abandoning the view out

for a less lofty view from the street,

 they forget what it feels like

 to be on the inside.

I don’t.

They move on with their lives without her.

I don’t.

They came and went having gotten what they wanted.

I don’t, didn’t, and never will,

staring up at those windows,

where she sometimes perches,

all alone.

 

 

email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment