Saturday, July 20, 2024

Self inflicted? May 16, 2012

 

 

 If my fingers bleed,

 it is not because I have

stabbed my hand with my fork,

 cream floating in the morning coffee

between us in that crisp diner

over that crisp newspaper

 we both bleed to produce,

 too much banter,

 too loose talk,

that long walk full of tales

 of woe I can’t forget,

no banging my head again brick

when I have you to do it for me,

 no blame, no shame,

 just this nagging thought nothing matters,

 least of all the blood down my forearms,

self-inflicted, maybe, but not unprovoked,

 this new remake of trading places

, not rich or poor,

but a better seat at the table

 with a more amazing view,

 while I still wonder about that night

 when I left the bar…

 

 



email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment