Friday, July 19, 2024

Cracker Jack Box. Jan 26, 2014

 

it is winter not autumn

 but I feel the leaves rustle

under my feet

all brown now

after the fall of leaves

barren landscape

 a sense of change

 not nearly the prodigal son

 allowed to return to

my hometown roost

finding it empty of

 what I might have valued most

 I stir the leaves as I walk

reading them the way

 I might tea leaves

or fortune cookies

and search of some meaning

some logic

something that will

help me make sense

of what was and will be

 the acute vacancy inside me

as well as the office

her presence still lingering

 her voice echoing in the rafters

 like a ghost

 what point there is in all this

 wishing and hoping

 when in the end

it all comes up empty

 like that Cracker Jack box

 we always open but fine no prize inside

I live here in a cracker Jack's box

of my own making

and it is completely empty

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment