Friday, July 12, 2024

More questions than answers July 12, 2024

 

It seems she has done away with her Yelp account – or blocked me from reviewing her work there.

I noticed the absence of the account earlier this but didn’t think much about it. It was a site I stopped in at every so often just to see what kind of food she was reviewing (although she has reviewed other stores, such a nail salon once that she was unhappy with.)

Her reviews went back for more than a decade. So, finding them gone after so long was indeed a surprise.

Some of these reviews are still accessible via other means (the internet being the internet, nothing every vanishes once it’s there), but they were hardly the stuff of great revelations, and the gutting of the site came just as she was moving north again, suggesting perhaps there is some connection between the reason for her move and the reason for removing her yelp content.

If it has anything to do with me, I can find no evidence to prove it, and so, chalk it up to yet one more coincidence in a long line of such oddities.

Her Linked-in account is a whole different kettle of fish.

Except for very early on in 2012, I have largely avoided accessing the site, partly because the site reports to the person who it is that has visited it, and since I did not want to give her any additional evidence of stalking to use against me, I stayed away from it.

It seems I need not have bothered. She apparently blocked me from accessing it. Just when I don’t know. I only recently discovered the fact when I went into my account and checked on her while I was there, coming up with a report that her account did not exist, an indication that I had been blocked.

There are several unused accounts in her name, but not one that reflects her current situation.

This is not a huge issue since – the internet being the internet – the content is available through out means, and finding myself blocked, I got curious and accessed her account through other means.

But like Facebook, there is only a limited amount of information accessible through those alternative means, and what found largely did not surprise me with the exception of two recommendations one relatively new, one dating back to that time during or just after we worked together more than a decade ago.

The more recent recommendation appears to have come from her boss, who gave her a glowing review. Whether this means anything or not (considering her history of trickling up with bosses) I can’t say.

It is the older recommendation that intrigued me, posted without a name, but by someone who apparently worked with us at the office.

To paraphrase the comment, this person said ever since his or her arrival at our office, our poet has always been helpful and kind (to him) and she has assisted him with any problems or concerns he’s (or she’s) had. The comment went on to say how passionate our poet was about her work which can be seen in her articles..

At first blush, I might think it was our former temporary boss who penned this. But from the comment, the author arrived at our office later, after our poet had been working for us, and this likely narrows the field of people down to a precarious few.

I discount the man she dated in the graphics department and assume (which could be a mistake) that it was someone else in editorial – possibly her drinking buddy A, who took over briefly the Hometown beat or even D, who replaced her at the north county beat but who maintained a relationship with her as she fed him stories.

If I was to guess, I would say this comment was penned by D, although it is unclear as to why he could not attribute his name to the comment. D appeared to have fallen for her the way the rest of us did and let her steer him towards several hit pieces against her political enemies before he transferred to the Hometown beat when A vacated it.

I think what surprised me most about her linked in account was the sparsity of comments since you would think many more people in all the phases of her career would be praising her.

All this just adds to how little I know or ever will.

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment