Wednesday, September 18, 2024

I hear it's your birthday july 2012


I keep thinking this is my mother's birthday too

 when it is not

hers and my mother's are off by a day

 not to mention all those decades

though in my mind time no longer matters

and we float in a limbo of feelings

 marking them off on my calendar

 like a prisoner xing out the days

till his release

 I keep thinking I want to stay silent

 to let this day tumble away into the past

 the way all or ordinary days do

the march of time

we think about only as we

blow out the candles on the cake

 or at those more general occasions

at year’s end when we are all feeling

 that much older

 I know I should not do or say anything

 this is her celebration not mine

 and yet I know I'll do something stupid

 I always do



email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment