Friday, September 20, 2024

Body blows july 30, 2012

  

it is the day after

 the day after her birthday

and I'm still hungover

 Punch-Drunk from serving

as her punching bag

my ego bleeding instead of my nose

some bouts you don't recover

 from easily or soon

recalling those moments when

you should have ducked and didn't

feeling each body blow

ribs still aching

not quite a knockout punch

 more like a series of rabid jabs

 each leaving a permanent bruise

 even a day after the day

 after her birthday

when I served as a punching bag

 and most likely deserved it

with a referee still hovering over me

 as I lay prone on the canvas

 each count up to 10 done

 in utter slow motion

me perfectly aware

 I am out for the count

if only it would get it all over with

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment