Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Her name in sand August 18th 2012

 I come to the sea

to find something

I know not what

the heat of the sun

burning my shoulders

as I've bend to write

her name in the sand much

as did the poet Spencer

and as was he

the waves came

and washed her name away

and being as stubborn as he

 I wrote her name again

 hearing her voice in the waves

mocking me

calling me foolish

 to believe I can make her immortal

 with such and unsubstantial substance

 even when names writ in stone

fade over time

we all turn to dust and forgotten

 this mocking voice claims

 but I like Spencer stood defiant

 sea whipping my hair

 staring my heart as I proclaim

the way he did that said the stone

 will hold her name

 as well as my poems can

writing as he wrote

her name in the heavens

where neither sea nor death

can dislodge her

my poems keeping her above

 long after the world

has subdued it


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment