Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Behind those eyes July 3, 2012

 


(This is another response of one of her poems)


I never wanted one

Until I had one

Those tiny people

Who arrived

After a nine month wait

Not by train

Or boat or buss

From Portland,

The person who is

A person from

The moment

I looked at her,

Real and full

Of something,

I did not expect

And cannot explain,

A real-ness

As real as I am

Eyes filled with

The same immaculate

Wonder I felt

When I look out

At the world,

Not yet able

To express it,

And shockingme

Reminding me of

The old woman

I once saw on

The edge of death,

Who could not

Speak either,

Expect with her

Desperate stair,

To say a mind

Exists behind

The eyes,

Needing no history

Or pain or suffering

To realize the

World into which

It has been thrust,

Is not one from which

To expect comfort,

Peace comes

With knowledge,

Not innocence

In learning how

To cope

That that space

Between birth

And old age.


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment