Wednesday, June 19, 2024

The Phoenix rises (2014)

  

She wasn’t always

The butterfly

I see now.

She was a caterpillar first,

Later emerging

With unfolded wings

So tender

I fear to touch them

Even with the tip

Of my finger or tongue,

Wings that yawn open

Before me to expose

Her inner being,

The curves of her

Like folds of a flower,

Needing to be pressed,

Shuddering when I do,

(at least in my mind)

All of her open to the

Light of day,

To be admired,

Blooming and fragile

Yet firm, too,

Toughened by her time

In deep hibernation,

And so, like a phoenix

She rises from the ashes

Of her demise,

More potent than before

Ane more tempting,

Though with an invisible

Sign saying: “look, don’t

Touch” only I

Always do.



email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment