Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Mirror mirror on the wall June 18, 2024

  

I keep telling myself

70 is the new 50,

Then cringe when

I look in the mirror

And realize it’s not,

All those wrinkles

I didn’t have

When 50 was

Really 50,

Or even when I

Was really 60.

I’m not worried

Too much about dying,

Though I have

The Woody Allen

Philosophy regarding

Death: “I don’t mind

Dying, I just don’t want

To be there

When it happens,”

I do mind shriveling up,

I’d rather be a plum

Than a prune

Though I know

The second is inevitable

Short of getting hit

By Mack truck

When crossing a street,

So when she talks about

Being Middle Aged,

I look back at her in envy,

Wishing I was back there,

Instead of where I am,

Mirror, Mirror on the wall,

Telling me who is fairer

After all,

It’s her,

Not me,

Morality stinks.

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment