Friday, June 21, 2024

Knowing what pure is July 8, 2012

 


 

I turn the water on

Into the tub,

White noise

To fill the space

In my head

Too much thinking

Too many thoughts

Crowding that

Tiny place,

Doubting myself

Never believing

I am ever

Right or true,

A gun slinger

Who shoots

From the hip

But misses as

Much as he hits,

I turn the tap

On the tub

When I can’t get

To the bank of

The river,

Polluted water

Gurgling all the way

From Paterson to

New York Bay,

My life as thick

As the water is,

Filled with debris,

While I see it

As pure

When I paint

Pure water as foul,

You can’t live on

The shores of a toxic river

Without thinking

Everything impure,

Letting the tub fill up,

From a tap I’m sure

Is as polluted as

The river is,

Still it comforts me

Even if it is

An illusion


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment