Saturday, June 29, 2024

Life line Jan 6, 2014

 

He knows nothing

I need to know

Yet I keep talking

To him,

A life line

Her soul he has

I don’t.

Even if what he knows

Does me no good

(she having already

Moved beyond him, too),

He clings to whatever

Connection she lets

Exist, maybe unaware

Of how much he loves her,

Connected by a strand

So think he’s scared it

Might break if she suspects

I’m clinging to him

Because of it,

He knows nothing

I need to know,

Yet I hold onto it,

Aching over his having

Something I can’t have,

An avenue of trust

He can reach out to her,

Even if in the end,

He’s merely a hanger-on,

Desperate to keep whatever

Connection he can,

While I am equally desperate,

To keep connected to him,

A life line to a hanger-on,

A dream with not real dream,

Just a hope and

A memory.


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment