Monday, June 24, 2024

Silent night Dec. 2013)

  

I keep hearing her sing

Silent night,

Even when I don’t hear it

On the internet,

A song I used to sing

But don’t have the range

Now that I’ve grown old.

I hear the song when

I stroll through the town

I cover,

Or down the streets

Of the town I will

Cover soon,

Twinkle of lights flashing

As I pass bars

And restaurants

And see images in some

I think might be her,

But are not,

The coal rattles in

My stockings as I

Make my way for yet

Another change of year,

And know all of what was

Now fades,

Even if I vaguely remember it,

And she is already moving on

From her role as Santa’s helper,

So, she can get back to

Helping herself.

I stroll the streets

Of Hometown, too,

Where her memory

Is most vivid

And therefore

Most painful,

I am living with

The ghost of Christmas past,

But none of Christmas future,

I hear her singing Silent Night

It is all that I have left.


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment