Monday, June 24, 2024

The lesser pain Dec. 2013

 

I pinch my fingers

When I put my stocking up

For Christmas,

The lesser pain

Than what comes later,

After Santa has

Come and gone,

After I wake to find

The space beneath

My tree empty and

My stockings

Full of coal,

Each finger,

Still with the pin prick

Bleeding, leaving

A trail of pain I have

No desire to follow

The coal, the least

Of things as compared

To the expectations

Of what I thought

Might occur

What I assumed

I truly earned

Brought back out

Of that Christmas Eve

Dilusion to realise

What I got is what

I deserved,

Even if after all this

The pain is note acute

As it was back then,

I live each night

with the same

three ghosts haunting me,

what happened then,

what happens now,

and what will likely

happened tomorrow,

Coal in my stockings

Even when I wished

For her.

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment