Sunday, June 23, 2024

Could have been a contender December 2013

 

Should I worry

Someone might make

An offer I can’t refuse,

Marlon Brando mumbling

With mouth full of marbles,

In a town where he once

Claimed he could have

Been a contender.

I walk the old cobble stones

Streets and look over

My shoulder, not so much

Afraid, rather afraid

I should be,

How twisted it all gets

When mixed up with feelings

I have nothing to do with,

Greed or power, the way

Romeo and Julliet got

Caught up,

Ruined by things they

Could not control,

We all mistake all

That goes on inside us,

For what goes on around us,

All spilling, confusing, dizzying,

Leaving us to stagger around

Drunk from consuming

Anything, but the air,

And the memories of

What we thought of was safe,

To breath, and now

It all comes crashing in,

The dark shapes

That need to control everything

Including how we feel

About each other.

 



email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment