Friday, October 11, 2024

White shoes for old men aug 15, 2012


I still have them in my closet

that pair of all white worn once sneakers

 I bought last spring with the idea

 I might get back into jogging before

I fell and hurt my leg

wearing them once by mistake

to the office on Tuesday

 only to get her text

to tell me they made me look like an old man

old men in retirement homes

wear white shoes she says

 and I took them off at home

 put them in the closet as if

burying an old friend

knowing I would go barefoot

before I ever put them on again

 even with the illusion I might jog someday

when I know I won't

 and even know after all this

has gone to hell in a handbasket

they reside in the back of my closet

 reminding me perhaps of who I am

 just an old man

even if I wear the shoes

younger men might wear

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment