Wednesday, October 9, 2024

In the wake of the ferries April 2, 2014

 

I stroll out to the pier

 to watch the ferry sail

a ritual I previously reserved

 for my Tuesday visits here

 now set free from my shackles

so I can come every day

 so in the fumes of the ferries wake

 I feel the loss, the pain

the empty space

 where she still haunts

 even though she is not

 graced this place in years

 I stare out at the skyline

against which the ferrys fade

 and dream of better things

fulfillment or contentment

 knowing what I wish for most

is not possible

regardless of how often

 I click my heels

it's not being home without her

 her  vanquished

 a memory of a memory

none of which is real

 all that remains is

the aftermath, the fumes

 of that which has passed

it will not mean the same

 not returning

I sit on this dock

and watch the water churned up

ferries fading and

know she is going

 and won't come back


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment