Thursday, May 2, 2024

Three cards for one birthday July 2012

I buy three cards

For her birthday

Because one card just won’t do,

The clerk at the store

Asking why I needed so many

How many people do I know

Born all on the same day

Puzzled when I say

They are all for one person

One funny, one tender, a third in-between

As if she is Goldilocks

With three bowls of portage from which to sip,

While I ponder

How to send them

Knowing she won’t want

Them coming from me

Do I travel to some distant place

To post mark to leave

Her pleased that some stranger

Somewhere distant thought so much of her

As to be so kind as to mail all three,

Three messages like three wisemen

Bearing gifts for the anointed one,

One funny, one tender, one in-between

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment