Friday, May 3, 2024

Brief time of joy Nov. 17, 2013

 

The sweet scent

Swirls up

A pile of pedals

Collected

From dead flowers,

An odor that lingers

Long after the blooms

Have perished

Soft to touch,

Staining the tips

Of my fingers

Like blood,

Popouri clinging to me

With memories

Of what once was,

A gentle kiss

The bitter taste

Of what could have been,

I hold it all

In the palm of my hand

Each edge frail

With the first signs of brown

Color draining

Long after the loss of life

Slipping through my fingers

And I can’t get back,

Needing new soil

In which to plant my seed,

To begin again,

Not the same pedals

Or flowers,

My fingers clutch,

The end as painful

As the beginning,

Only the lingering scent

Recalling that brief

Time of joy


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment