Wednesday, May 1, 2024

When push comes to shove July 20, 2012

  

E says she would never betray me

Even as she crawls up to the owner for raise.

He making the same offer he made before

If you do something just a bit special

He’ll until his purse strings

Only I’m not clear what special means,

Or if this is just another plot to be rid of me

Offering her stories on my beat

To see if maybe, just maybe

He can finally be free of me,

This already being

The most painful summer of my life,

And this only rips off a scab

From a deeper wound,

Inflicted upon myself

Although I blame someone else,

A wound that may never heal

If people like E keeps making it bleed,

Trust thrust into it like a hot knife,

Though I should not talk

Having done my best to betray trust

With someone else.

“I’ll never betray you,” E tells me

Though I already know she has,

Everybody betrays everybody

When push comes to shove

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment