Saturday, May 4, 2024

Kicked in the teeth

July 2012

 

 I don’t feel forgiven

I feel kicked in the teeth,

Even if she didn’t mean

To hit me so hard,

I stagger against the ropes,

Too punch drunk to fall down

Too stupid to play dead,

Waiting for the final count

So we might return to our corners

One crowned victor

While I pretend I didn’t lose,

She never quite as tough

As she seems to believe,

And never as vulnerable

As other claim,

Forgiving me my indiscresions,

Before patting me on the head

And telling me to go away,

A punch in the soler plex

That bows me over,

Filling me with a rush of regret,

I stagger, but don’t fall,

I get up when I should stay down

Aching the whole time

For the referee to call

The whole thing off

So I can lick my wounds.


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment