Saturday, May 4, 2024

I walk in the rain Nov. 16, 2013

 

 Rain drips

Through each bare branch

Cold tears

In anticipation of winter,

Wobbly lenses

Through which I view the world

Images of her

Face, eyes, mouth

Like a fading dream,

Details that grow vague

The more awake I become.

I do not want to forget.

Yet, I do not want to cling to sleep

And the distorted dreams

Sleep brings,

The false prophet of love

I once fallowed

But now lake faith in,

The ache of it

Greater than the joy

I once thought possible.

I walk through the rain,

My tears mingling

With the tears shed by god,

Emersed with the illusion

That sunlight might soon come

When all I see around me

Is the darkness of day

Thick clouds hovering over me.

I walk in the rain,

Feeling its cold kiss

Against my cheeks and lips

And recall a time in spring

When those kisses

Still felt warm.

I walk in the rain

Drenched

A gray ghost in a gray world

A blind man looking less

For through

Than what I once believed

As true love.

 

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment