Monday, July 1, 2024

Chopping wood March 28, 2012

 


I chop wood

Left from that

Halloween storm

When snow settled

On the limbs

Still thick with leaves,

Whole halves of trees

Fell into the yard

Left entangled

Until I could risk

Blindness to cut

Them up.

I chop wood

And think of

The strange voice

On the telephone,

As if there is a connection,

Seeing her slanted lips

In my one good eye,

Each sawed limb

Breaking between

My already calloused

Fingers,

Yet with no inspiration

As to why I’m on

Her weather map,

Whether or not

She is a brewing storm,

Or merely a cloud burst,

Clouds in my coffee.

I saw wood

And try not to

Think of her,

Her slanted lips,

Or the weight of snow

And green leaves

That brought these

Limbs to my knees.

I chop wood.

br>
email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment