Thursday, April 21, 2022

Cub April 13, 2012

 

She is the cub who took over a beat other quit because it was too much for them, she speaking two languages filling in the gaps, though she had learned her craft writing food reviews for free for some on-line place in New York, dragging behind her a string of degrees that made the rest of us look foolish and music awards from a five-year career she feels ashamed of, yet still hopes to broker into something she can be, enduring a jealous husband and his cheating long enough to settle upstate where she could start over.

“I never cheated,” she says with a straight face, a notorious flirt to whom men and women flock, not all of them fucking her, but those out the outs wishing they were, her way of surviving in a world full of users and abusers, claiming she no longer uses cocaine, but I don’t believe her.

She claims everybody at the office ignores here except for me, which is just fine with her since it lets her do what she wants to do, with me coming onto her radar because of my sudden anti-management tirades and the fact I lent her some books to help ease her into the job – she suddenly being my cub and I her mentor – something we both knew couldn’t last.


email to Al Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment