Thursday, May 9, 2024

The cage April 4, 2024

  

All these long years later

She still rattles my cage,

Grinning at me through the bars

Her lips parted so

I can’t tell if she means well or not,

Or which of us is inside the cage

And which is out,

A cage I see reflected back

In her deep gaze,

Her long fingers

Firmly gripping

The grid between us,

Neither of us too safe,

Neither sure which one of us

Is in control,

Leaning closer,

Her lips close enough to kiss,

Yet too close to trust,

I feel the warmth of her breath,

Against my face,

As I press my forehead

Against the bars.

Does she flinch?

Do her long fingers shake?

Why is she even here,

Looking at me,

Certainly not to set me free,

This cage of my own making,

Created to keep safe

What both of us know

We hide inside.


AD's Journal menu


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment