Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Poetry journal April 13, 2012

 



She calls herself "Cub," I don't.

The girl who took a beat

 it took two languages to handle, 

learning her craft 

among the poets at Columbia

 and doing a food beat for free 

dragging behind her a string of music awards 

she feels a little embarrassed 

Once hoping to broker them into a real career

of her own,

a notorious flirt to whom men and women flock, 

not all getting their chance to share her bed,

although we all wish we could,

a one-time coke-head,

she gave up (but not for lent)

claiming she's ignored at the office,

so she does whatever she pleased,

with me coming onto her radar, 

my eye patch making me into a pirate

and because I lent her a book

on how to do what she was hired to do, 

asking me to be her mentor, 

when I don't know how

but I know whatever this is

it can't last


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment