Tuesday, May 7, 2024

The shrill cries of sea gulls Sept. 26, 2013

 


Of course, I want her

We all want what

 we can never have,

the less she wants me

the more intensely I feel,

though after the ship has sank

we drift apart

each in our own life boat,

floating on this endless sea

we once thought

would bring us bliss.

Only now,

She’s the one stranded

Abandoned

When she could have any

Man she wants

Only the man she wants

Doesn’t want her

And she floats

On the surf

alone

I hear the shrill cry

over the wave caps

thinking I hear gulls

when I hear her,

starving for love,  

only he can feed her,

(and I’m jealous again)

with all the life boats

and all the souls stranded in each,

why does she seek out

the one that moves endlessly

out of reach

and soon out of hearing

maybe he mistakes her cries

for sea gulls, too.

 

email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment