Monday, May 6, 2024

Safe at a distance? Nov. 9, 2013


It lit the fuse

 seeing her in again

in the flesh

even if her greeting

was still full of rage

old images

like a fading movie

running through my head

the pondering of

 “what if”

Remembrance of

That one late night kiss

In her car

Or the other

Outside the bar

Fostering the illusion

Of things

I know cannot be,

Remembrance of scents

Overcoming my senses,

With no protection for me

Except distance

The pitfalls too perilous

To risk, even a year later,

A broth stirred up,

And questions raised

Do her kisses still taste as sweet?

Is she as soft as I thought,

Though perhaps

More to the point,

How she inspired me,

Even with her negativity,

As if challenging me to be

Better than I was,

And yet still

too potent an elixir,

 more than just a sip of wine,

 when all I want  is

to consume the whole decanter



email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment