Sunday, May 5, 2024

Black Beer and White Wine April 2012

 


I drink black beer;

 she drinks white wine,

back to the busy street

unable to escape

the racket of the bar,

whispered conversations

to compete with the

secrets she tells me,

while I tell her

whatever this is,

won’t last

I’m twice her age,

And she sips

Her pink lips

Leaving a stain

On the rim of the glass

Telling me not to fret it.

Life is too short

To worry about tomorrow

Today is all we have

I almost believe her.

I am floating in a fog

out of which I can see

nothing clearly,

Not even what

She sees in me

Moment to moment

A scary concept,

When I already know

I want much more

Than that,

Grateful for whatever

Pleases her to give me

She drinks white wine

While I slip black beer

Tasting something that

may not exist,

bitter and sweet,

an ache so deep

it may never expire

telling myself the age old lie

how all this will be

worth the pain,

when I’m not sure it will be.


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment