Monday, July 1, 2024

Ink stains March 30, 2012

 


 It was like magic

Boasting how I once

Worked at a printer assistant

As we walked by the printing place,

The door popping out,

The little man popping out,

Inviting us to take a tour,

The old scent of paper

And ink overwhelming me,

Dragging me back to

That day when

The girl I would come to love

And later marry,

And got introduced to

Looked up from her sorting

Of labels to say,

“You’ll be sorry,”

And all these years later,

On this stroll we took

After the diner,

I expected this girl

With big eyes

To say the same,

After she had already

Laid out her life story,

The trials and tribulations,

How she had wound up

Here walking these streets

With me,

While I struggled to

Keep track of it all,

Except by her

Trail of tears,

The small man

With inked stained fingers

Making me jealous

Holding her attention,

A man who accomplished things

While I merely pretended,

How different my life

Might have been

Had I stayed in that old

Print factory

And gotten my fingers

Stained with ink

As well.

br>
email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment