Friday, May 3, 2024

All I have are words

  

Poetry Journal July 2012

 

This is all I have to cling to,

And I won’t stop,

Or sink

Forgiven or not

I cling to the wreckage,

Chanting something that might

Salvage me,

I am a shaman muttering pointless

Spells to avoid being devoured by sharks

Each poem, holy words,

Prayers to some higher being,

Translated for mere mortals

Who might comprehend

At least in part

These things locked previously

In my heart,

Too scared to stay silent,

Dreading that wordless vacuum

Where nothing thrives,

I cannot stop,

Even if I’ve already been abandoned,

These words serving as my self-created life preservers

They are all I have, perhaps all I’ve ever had,

And all I ever will have,

To paddle my way back

To more welcome waters

Where forgiveness means more

Than mere words


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment