Thursday, April 25, 2024

What I meant to say July 29, 2012

  

I try to sound tough

When I’m not,

Claiming I only

Wish you Happy Birthday

To get even for yours

Forgiving me,

This ironic use of language

Of happy when we mean mad

Forgiveness when not forgiven,

The hurt of it goes deeper

Than even poetry can take us,

This pain we bear

Each separately,

Each wounded in a different way,

Each aching for salvation

We can neither give nor get

Yet always regret,

I try to sound tough

Even when I’m bushwhacked,

Father, brother, step mom

All stepping up to the plate

To have their whack at me,

And me, pretending

To be tough,

Saying things that sound tough

But come off cruel,

When down deep,

I really do mean,

“Happy Birthday.”

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment