Monday, April 15, 2024

A girl named Sue


(This uses a style Norman Mailer perfected in some of his novels)

 

She shouted my name the moment she saw me at the band’s reunion press conference.

Then, she ran up to me and kissed me, her tongue probing my mouth as her fingers dug into my crotch as if looking for a home there.

My blush gave my thoughts away as I staggered back from her powerful assault.

Sue, it seemed, was the same wild woman I had known in high school, that woman with a reputation for doing anything with anybody – only she got to pick what and with whom.

Every horny male in high school wanted her.

Every jock and popular guy trailed her in a perpetual hunt through the hallways.

But she always chose who she would let catch her and how far they could go.

And for some unknown reason, she decided she liked me – possibly the shyest kid in the whole school.

I never felt a panic so terrible in my life and did everything I could to avoid her.

If she was standing in the hall, I circumvented her, even if I had to go up three floors and down three floors to get to a classroom 10 feet behind where she stood.

But she had the instincts of a cat, and had an uncanny way of knowing where I would be and when, only to arrive there ahead of me to wait out my arrival.

I think she liked seeing me blush and had a secret bet as to whether or not I could say anything articulate while in her presence.

Of course, I wanted sex. I thought of little else. I simply wasn’t up to the Herculean task that screwing a girl like that would require.

My best friend, Dave – who was last in the pack of horny hounds pursuing her day and night – thought I was completely out of my mind. All explanations of my deficiencies could not explain why I ran from the arms of a goddess when I should have embraced her.

Then one day in the auditorium where I should have been perfectly safe among the hundreds of kids stationed there for lunch, Sue caught up with me.

She had made a deal with the boy who usually sat next to me to switch seats.

I hadn’t noticed the change until I was already seated, by which time it was too late to run.

So terrible was my agitation that my books and papers flew in every direction, and when I knelt down to collect them, her legs closed around my head – pinning me with my face up under her skirt.

She wore no panties.

So the flower of her budding womanhood lay before my open mouth like the most succulent of fruits, spread enough so that each fold was exposed.

My hormones raged.

I could not tell whether my ears burned from her clamping them with her knees or the sudden surge of blood.

She – with a giggle – suggested I give a little lick while I was down there.

I could never have licked just a little, and if I started I knew my tongue would need a lifetime to explore every crevice of that incredible cave, taking the final plunge into the deep canyon where the real nectar lay.

I told her I had a tooth ache and begged her to set me free.

She did.

But it didn’t end there.

She insisted on helping me get through the pain of my tooth by providing me with a blow job then and there, her fingers ripping at my zipper as everybody on every side of us stared.

Again I pleaded for her to stop before my little volcano erupted with or without her mouth around it.

She agreed to desist only if I agreed to meet her at the dance the following Friday, and threatened to hunt me down at my house if I didn’t show up.

When I told Dave we have to move earlier on our well-laid plans to hitch hike to California, he asked when, I said NOW. Then, he grilled me until he found out about the dance, and he being a foot taller than I was, strong armed me into going, saying my wasting the opportunity to screw Sue was a sign against nature and that I had an obligation to mankind to go through with it.

No landscape short of a military mine field was so treacherous as that dance floor and I creped around it one cautious inch at a time fearful of any squeak in the floor boards giving me away.

My heart pounded in my ears with each step, pumping up my hormones so that I staggered and despite holding both my hands before my crotch, I could not completely hide my bulging condition.

Although the room swirled with other people’s hormones, too, I kept thinking mine showed most, and that everyone in that room knew what I was about to engage in.

I never felt so exposed and saw myself as already naked.

My steps slowed when I finally caught sight of Sue’s blond hair floating like a cork in sea of male admirers, all of whom vied for her attentions, bragging or brandishing muscles, giving her glib sexually oriented replays to each of her inquires.

I was drowning in my own frustrated desires, and knew I could never live up to any of the boasts these boys issued. I didn’t want her to see me. But before I could flee, she did.

She ran over and immediately apologized to me, saying she had to break our engagement. The lead singer – and old boy friend with a record on its way to the chart – had asked her out and she just couldn’t refuse.

I felt myself shrink back to size – so that the exaggerated swelling seemed less obvious as to fill the room.

I was free of her, and did not need to live up to the task of screwing her.

And I was crushed.

While my best friend Dave did his best to cheer me up by badmouthing her, I knew she was not to blame.

It was me, needing to be wanted so much even for a feat I knew I could never accomplish.

That dance was the last I saw of her in high school, because she left school to follow the band on its climb to the top, and though I followed her career through the band’s success, squabble, and breakup, it wasn’t until the news conference announcing the reunion that I saw her and she kissed me.

She kept kissing me as if she intended to make love right there on the steps of the hotel., her soft lips parting to engage my tongue with her, each contact sending chills like electric shocks through us both, my hormones and hers meeting and mingling in our mouths so that we seemed to have no longer a need of breathing – we breathed each other.

People stared, of course. News men colleagues who had come to see me as a sober fellow seemed shocked at my sudden change.

I didn’t care.

When we paused in kissing, Sue whispered that we still had some unfinished business. Then she led me through the lobby of the hotel and up the elevator to her room, me popping off button after button so that we were both near naked by the time when reached her door.

We never made it to the bedroom, falling into each others arms on the couch where I began to explore her in a way I had imagined all my life.

My mouth falling away from her mouth to seek her breasts, slipping around their nipples in a way my fingers could never have done, then moving on, playing off her skin, moving again only when she gave a satisfying shudder, until finally I returned home to that place I had dreamed of since that day in the high school auditorium, needing no knees around my ears to make me seek out the delicate flower between her legs, my mouth treated it the way I had her mouth, lingering a long time in each crevice, before slowly making my way to the button that once pushed would send us both into orbit, teasing it, working around it, the tip of my tongue never lingering too long, always drawing back when she approached the moment of explosion, to return again, from a slightly different angle, the tip of my tongue circling that small powerful point then mounting it, easing back when her shutter grew too intense, and when neither of us could control it any more, I slid into her, my swelling filling the gap I thought myself incapable of ever filling, moving in and out, slowly at first, feeling her softness around me as if her flesh had been knitted to fit me perfectly, we two finally moving together in a dance we could never had performed on the dance floor in high school, could never had engaged upon without the intervening years, without all my dreaming of this moment, that memory of failure making me work out a plan in my mind on how I might have done it better if every I got the chance to do it again, and this time, moving in and out, out and in, my breath mingling with her breath, her breath mingling with mine, I exploded.

I was not Hercules. Sue was not insurmountable.

Yet looking back at that moment in time in that hotel room where two older but wiser people made love after so many years, I realized I had reached the pinnacle of my life, a moment I would treasure until the grave, even though she would soon go back to her rock stars and I would go back to my dusty news beat.

And in the after glow of that moment, I heard her sigh, as she leaned towards me and said, “You know, you always scared me a little.”


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment