Sunday, April 21, 2024

Seventh Heaven November 23, 2013

  

I still go back there in my dreams, see every inch of it, feel every vibration, smell the scents that struck me on my first visit, compounded by those moments later, the good and the sad one, her scent mingling with the odors that have accumulated, until they all swirl in my head in my memory.

In some ways, I am the ghost she senses, against whom she sometimes locked and unlocked the doors, a spirit that can no longer be there in the flesh, so must linger in the air outside, or down the block or in the air above the nearby river, condemned to remain and yet be excluded, imprisoned by my memories of what happened there, the breakfast vegetables, the afternoon delight, the glasses of wine seated on her couch.

Other men (perhaps better men) have come there, of course, spirits I felt each time I came and went, and often imagined during those late night texts, each of us finding pleasure in ourselves at a distance.

She calls it a place of windows, as it is, but feels like a fortress to me, where she – that amazing figure from some old fairy tale, let down her hair long enough for me to climb into her life, her arms, her bed, which I repeat in memory long after I ceased being welcome in the flesh.

This is where her heart resides, beating fast when she is afraid, perpetually making her aware of loves gained and loves lost, a sunny world by day, but mysterious at night, especially with all those icons of her life, her paintings on the walls, books of her heroes, (mine and others), and the window in the kitchen where she perches bird-like when she smokes.

It is a place I can see even with my eyes closed, the long rooms, and where we sat during those few times I was welcome, where we kissed on the couch, and later made love (once successfully) on her bed, my fingers still feeling the special places, the tender places and my mouth still tastes them as well.

The ache of it still clings to me even as it will long after she has departed it, when the reality no longer matches what I remember, and I cling to the memory because it is the only thing that is real, what I feel when stirring in my sleep, what I see when I close my eyes, what I taste – the wine, the woman and without doubt the song.

I will still remember her naked shape sprawled beside me, and will feel my fingers tingling from that touch long, long gone and perhaps she’s forgotten, that nakedness I first saw with the photographs she sent (and I kept and still cling to when all else has faded away).

I will dream, too, of her life spent here long after she’s ceased spending here, the troubled wakings, the rushed mid-mornings to get to work, the luxurious (and sometimes intensely lonely) evenings, shared, and sometimes greedily kept for herself, the lovemaking (imagined and experienced), the self-love when alone, the flow of her life that like the nearby river is never the same, yet always is, new things evolving into past experience as she gets on with her life.

And yet, I imagine there are things that have happened here that never happened before and never will again, treasured moments, maybe even treasured people whose memory she carries away with her the way I carry away my memories of her, to which I revisit time and again in my dreams, unreal, yet an absolute reality, full of pain of loss because they were once so full of joy, the touch and being touched, the kiss and being kissed, the feel of it all pressed against me, forever present and forever gone, the way all ghost stories are.

 


email to Al Sullivan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment