Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Knee deep but still drowning




My uncle Ritchie drove me nuts
every time I wasn’t looking
he jumped into the river,
intending to drown himself
but with the drought
the water was only deep enough
to wet his knees – and mine
as I went in after him.
I’m always trying to save people
from themselves
a regular spider man
but without spider man’s reflex’s
just the usual befuddled complexes
modern super heroes have these days
too guilty to screw the groupies
after some band member dumped them
for some other, prettier chick
I just couldn’t think of making love
to a woman still clutching
and empty bottle of pills.
or the girl I liked in the old rooming house
naked expect for the red oozing
out of her slit wrists.
I’m a sucker for trying to make everything
come out all right in the end,
even my poor fool uncle who I loved
like a brother, but could barely keep
his head out of the shallow water
as I dragged his heavy body to shore
me screaming the whole time,
“You have to help me help you,
I can’t do this by myself,”
and guess what, I still can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment