Monday, June 18, 2012

Venice




We probably passed each other
more than once along that stretch of beach
back when we both thought California
offered some escape,
me, a lost soul struggling to find myself
in any big city other than New York,
and you, a free spirit dancing
in sunset and moonbeats,
and spirit I never saw,
though in my haze of desire and panic
I must have dreamed of someone like you,
Thinking of you as goddess or angel
wonder how a man like me might
draw the gaze of someone like you
a most, perhaps, too ordinary man back then
not yet certain about life or self or desire
only that I ached all the time
and wanted someone to help east of the pain
of being alone, of being ordinary, of being human
passing goddesses on the street
or on that beach, without ever knowing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment