Thursday, April 21, 2022

Who is she? October 20, 2011

 

She is all eyes, an odd beauty turning heads the first day she came to the office early in October, coming from some strange place across the river, related to some big time mobster who helped create Columbus Day and dedicated a whole wing to the local college, not rich, not yet, but with big plans to get there the old fashioned way, getting her face in the limelight and her name in print, her eyes like headlights focused on everything and everybody, sly, too, as if she could read minds, especially men’s, who gossip about her at the local bar, wondering about her as we slowly get stoned, what is she doing here, what does she want, how on earth did a woman like her get stuck in a place like this, no one quite willing to hit her with that classic pick up line.

But when Jay asks me how I can stand working in an office with four gorgeous girls without walking around all day with a hard on, he means her, although he describes each of the four of them as if he’s made love with each in his mind, pausing last to describe her, her big eyes, her tilted mouth, her lips kiss-perfect, asking me what I know about her, if he should ask her out for a drink, when I know less about her than he does, only that she popped up in the office one day, and I can’t tell him what I don’t know, and he never asks me if I think her lips are perfect for kissing.

 


email to Al Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment