Saturday, April 30, 2022

Hold me tight May 2012

  

The text came at sundown, saying she was scared, a surprise text since I thought we were through, she’d received another text from her stalker and she feared he might show up at her door, and she needed someone to be there with her if he did, with me driving in a panic in a car not a white steed to rescue the damsel in distress, full of my own self-importance, only to find when I arrived she was more collected than I was, motioning for me to sit on the couch beside her as she turned on the TV to watch her favorite food guy, a man she’d once met and later wrote about, whose books she kept on the sheets along with mine and my boss’, she clutching me as I sat, perhaps mistaking me for him, her fingers trembling as I realized she really was scared, and maybe truly believed the boogie man would knock on the door, that kind-hearted chef who would love her to death if given a chance.

“What do you want me to do?” I asked.

“Just hold me,” she said. “That’s what I need right now.”

So, I did.


2012 menu

email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment